The Ranger moth trap is a versatile super-lightweight, supremely portable, economical unit. The trap assembles rapidly and can be hung or placed on a level surface with the support of the included base unit legs. If necessary it can be ground tethered using tent pegs (not supplied).
Unlike the Safari, the cone is a separate item from the main collection chamber. The Ranger cone is made of strong, light-impervious cotton with hook and loop straps and light-source fitting ring. Two cone base aperture sizes are available, through which the moth enters the main body of the trap. A larger size of aperture may help in the capture of larger species, but conversely may increase the escape rate of smaller species.
- Lightweight - weighs only 560g (1lb4oz) without shield, or 910g (2lbs) with shield
- Roomy - at 43cm (17") diameter and 27 cm (10.5") tall, the Ranger has plenty of space for eggboxes and your catch of moths.
- … and yet compact - packs away to only 1cm deep
- n-shaped zip - for ease of access
- Geotextile base - for extra durability when placed on the ground or other surfaces
- Choice of cone - select either a ‘LN’ long narrow cone 180mm (7”) deep with 55mm (2.25") entry into the collection chamber, or a ‘SW’ standard wide cone 130mm (5") deep with a 100mm (4”) entry.
- Lighting NOT included. Optional tote bag, lighting rigs, and steady bars available separately.
Trap without rainshield: 1 x net collection chamber, 4 x base unit legs, 1 x light-source fitting ring (either 38mm, or 40mm, depending on which option is chosen above), 1 x cone, 4 x stretcher bars, 4 x 16mm screws, 4 x nuts (plus 1 x small silver ring, long cone only).
Trap with rainshield: includes all the components above plus 1 x plastic shield, 4 x fitting bars (each with 8 x anchors, 4 x 12mm domed screws and 4 x washers).
Photographs are for illustration purposes only and show the Ranger with a variety of lighting set-ups and optional extras. The base unit legs supplied with the trap are now black (not silver as illustrated). The clear plastic rainshield is only included if it has been selected from the options above. Lighting NOT included, but we sell a tote bag, lighting rigs, and single and double steady bars separately.
- The Ento Nets LED Podlight can be supported in the cone of the trap using the 40mm Podlight fitting ring option. Do not use the Podlight with a 38mm fitting ring. Other brands of lightweight LED lighting unit can be placed inside the trap, directly on top of the geotextile base.
- A traditional 38mm (Edison screw) lampholder can be secured in the cone of the trap using the 38mm ES fitting ring option and shade rings, allowing the use of compact blacklight and blacklight-blue lamps and mercury blended tungsten MBT lamps. Do not use a 38mm lampholder with a 40mm fitting ring.
- Long or short straight, or circular actinic tubes can also be mounted horizontally using the hook and loop; or vertically. You will need the 38mm ES fitting ring option. For vertical tubes you will also need to purchase a steady bar. Please note that you will not be able to use the rainshield with a vertically mounted tube.
- Straight or circular actinic tubes can be placed inside the trap, directly on top of the geotextile base. As this type of placement does not use the fitting ring, choose whichever fitting ring option you prefer.
- If you have purchased the Ranger with rainshield, MBT lamps of up to 160W may be used DO NOT use any other type of hot-running lamp with this trap.
- DO NOT use the Ranger without a rain-shield in rain, drizzle, (or where rain is a possibility), or other damp conditions. You should also ensure all other electrical components are protected against water incursion.
- Additional GENERAL USAGE safety and warning information about using a moth trap can be seen on our Product Info & Care page (main website menu). Please read this carefully before making your purchase.
- For safety and warnings specific to the lighting rig, lamps, and any other associated electrical components you are using, please carefully study the operational instructions included by the manufacturer before use.